If your child needs orthodontic treatment, you may be considering two options: Invisalign vs. braces. At Fox Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics, we’ve helped many families make this choice.
Should I Get Invisalign or Braces?
Braces consist of brackets bonded to each tooth. These brackets are connected by a metal wire, and over time your orthodontist will make adjustments to move each tooth into its correct position. There are many options available for braces today, including metal, ceramic and lingual braces.
Pros of Braces
This orthodontic treatment has been around for a long time and is still one of the most popular choices. The benefits of braces include:
- Braces are a good option for patients who require all levels of treatment.
- Brackets and bands come in a range of fun colors.
- Braces stay on until they are removed, so your child receives consistent treatment.
Cons of Braces
Like any treatment, braces also have drawbacks, such as:
- Brackets and wires are more visible.
- Some patients may find braces uncomfortable at first.
- Patients should avoid crunchy or hard foods during treatment.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign consists of clear aligners that are worn over the teeth for at least 22 hours a day. The trays are switched regularly by your orthodontist, gently moving the teeth into place. There are several benefits of Invisalign, including:
- They can be virtually invisible when worn.
- They can be easily removed in order to eat and brush your teeth.
- Average treatment length tends to be shorter.
Drawbacks of Invisalign
Like braces, Invisalign has some cons:
- They cost more on average compared to traditional braces.
- Since they are removable, aligners can become lost or forgotten.
- Aligners can’t handle all types of orthodontic corrections.
Which Is Better, Braces or Invisalign?
If your child needs orthodontic care, braces may be the best choice if they have high canines, impacted teeth or another complex situation. For younger children, it can be easier to stick to treatment with braces. Teens may benefit from Invisalign for their near-invisible look. Your child’s orthodontist can walk you through the pros and cons of each option and help you find the best fit.
Schedule an Appointment
At Fox Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics, we know that everyone is different, and that’s why we’re here to help. Schedule an appointment for your child, and we’ll be happy to review your options to identify the right treatment.